I'm hoping we can snag her today--
Yesterday evening......notsomuch a safe adventure.
I only know this because I suggested dinner and the kidnapping at an earlier time than we'd set.....cuz the weather was making me nervous. Bit of snow and freezing rain and more snow the evening before and into the morning meant we had school delays Friday morning. It also meant we had blowing snow during the day. It also meant in open farmland we had stuff blowing over the highway. I know the lay of the land between here and there fairly well--I travel it often enough. Earlier was smarter.
I only know this because I suggested dinner and the kidnapping at an earlier time than we'd set.....cuz the weather was making me nervous. Bit of snow and freezing rain and more snow the evening before and into the morning meant we had school delays Friday morning. It also meant we had blowing snow during the day. It also meant in open farmland we had stuff blowing over the highway. I know the lay of the land between here and there fairly well--I travel it often enough. Earlier was smarter.
Didn't matter. We got on the road and only got a couple miles in when I started repeating "I'm not liking this......" And THEN we hit the icy patch and the wind knocked us sideways....
You know that split second that seems like forever?
You know that split second that seems like forever?
The one where you're sizing up how close to the gravel shoulder you are, how much of the rearend of the Jeep is catching up to the front of the Jeep, how close the stupid people driving like 4 wheel drive means tank track grips on the terrain are to you, how deep the ditch is and how fast you're actually going all seem to blur together while you're saying something you wouldn't wanna repeat in front of your grandmother if you had one?!
Yeah.........HAD one of those moments!!
O
M
G
M
G
(trust me--that's NOT what I said in the Jeep........)
And trust me--turned around and went BACK to the house where I promptly called the girl to let her know.....not happening!
Bizarre, she says....Roads are clear here.
Yeah, well--her flight got rescheduled to today FOR a reason!
And notsomuch clear here last evening.
O
M
G
And trust me--turned around and went BACK to the house where I promptly called the girl to let her know.....not happening!
Bizarre, she says....Roads are clear here.
Yeah, well--her flight got rescheduled to today FOR a reason!
And notsomuch clear here last evening.
O
M
G
And on the return trip--we passed the same treacherous spot and noted a white pickup in the field--via the ditch and through the fence.
I'd say it was good driving on the drivers part. Yeah....notsomuch. The driver would say it was catching the dry pavement at the right time and being lucky that no rolling over of the Jeep happened.
Divine intervention. He calls that 'lucky'. Whichever--I'm good with it. And I'm good with listening to that screaming in my head that said "NO!!"
I'd say it was good driving on the drivers part. Yeah....notsomuch. The driver would say it was catching the dry pavement at the right time and being lucky that no rolling over of the Jeep happened.
Divine intervention. He calls that 'lucky'. Whichever--I'm good with it. And I'm good with listening to that screaming in my head that said "NO!!"
Putting a few hours of dark into that and 'hoping' that it was 'just that spot' to retrieve a small child cuz it's what I wanted..... NO was the right answer to act on.
Sun's up. New day.
Thinking we can give it a few hours and give it go once traffic and sun does it's thing.
Thinking we can give it a few hours and give it go once traffic and sun does it's thing.
Nana has new noisy toys!!!!
k.....new to her.
<-- mighta had to check out the slide whistle a few times to make sure it worked correctly.....
:-/
7 comments:
Isn't it you who always tells me that I'm right where I'm supposed to be? yep. Glad you didn't go in to the ditch. This year, with no high snow banks along the sides of the road and the ditches not full of soft snow to land in, it's a good deal to stay out of the ditch. You would have rolled 'er for sure!
Glad you're safe. Glad the Bug is gonna be there today.
Peace
I can imagine what went on in your head, not a nice experience. Thank God you were both unhurt. Keep the sun, get rid of that ice.
Thank goodness you are safe what a scare you had!
YAWZA! I actually held my breath as you were describing this scenario, Mel!
WHEW! I am sooooooooooo happy to hear that you guys are safe.
Something similar happened to me many, many years ago while being a passenger in someone else's car during an icy snow storm. Everything seemed to happened in slow motion, as the car spun in circles until we landing on the shoulder - safely.
Thank GOD no one else was on the road when this happened.
((((( Mel )))))
X
I am so glad that you guys are fine.
I have had that split second thing twice, too. The car"slipped" on rain and another thing. We were OK and that was the main thing, human life. Car is material...
XO
Yes, I've experienced that. It's crazy how time gets warped...
Phew! Funny how those crazy rides thrilled me as a child when I believed my father could handle everything. Glad you reconsidered and arrived home safely, Mel.
The Bug needs her gramma and grandpa.
Post a Comment