Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Everybody loves a barbie!!!!!


<-- looks good, eh?

<-- could toast marshmallows in 2.5 seconds with that glow goin'





So......I'm smarter today......even if I don't FEEL better......

I haven't been feeling so hot since I got back from staying with the sister.  Granted, I dropped a good 8 pounds while I was out there......stress and running your arse off will do that, I guess.  And face it--not a gluten free household and NOT the time to spend time fretting about what to feed myself--catch as catch can.  So I wasn't too surprised with the weight loss.
And I wasn't too surprised with the 'not feeling on top of the game' once I returned.
The problem was--it persisted.
I figured 'stress'.....and I'd 'deal'.

And then I had all those stupid tests cuz the yearly physical 'stuff' came due.
....And doc told me I wasn't where he wanted me to be even after years of this gluten free 'stuff'....and maybe, given I continued to feel crappy (no pun intended), tired and on the edge of sickly--MAYBE we needed to check me out for other food allergens.

No thanks...I know where I am with the gluten stuff and I figure denial and avoidance are good things on occasion.  LOL  (That's just TRUE!!)
I don't WANT more health stuff to contend with.
I don't WANT more foods on the stupid list of "Mel can't have that......"
I told him I wanted to buy time and let things 'settle' a bit.  I assured him I'd work on gaining back that 8 pounds that got lost....and we'd see if getting back into the 'routine' didn't solve some of the issues.

WHY he listened to me, I'll never know.  LOLOL

EVERYbody loves a barbie--
We're no exception to that rule.
And he-who-loves-to-cook likes to light fires too!
Ain't nothing like a 'hot off the grill kebab' with peppers and onion and mushrooms and tomatoes.....OMG.....YUMMMMMM!!!!!  I don't need meat ('specially since I don't especially LIKE meat....),  I love my veggies!

'Cept MINE have been coming off the grill covered in gluten.
YES, GLUTEN.
Did *I* know that they use wheat fillers to bind charcoal into those pretty briquettes?
Did *I* know that the smoke from those cute little briquettes cover my yummy little kebab's with crap that I can't have?!


NOT A CLUE.

And have we been grilling out on a regular basis since my return from the sisters?
.........uh huh....  Two, maybe three times a week, I'd guess.

Freaking wheat....
......IN CHARCOAL.

I don't know what we'll do with the grill itself now that we've smothered it with wheat ladened charcoal.
I DO know that the charcoal has gone bye-bye.
I suspect he-who-grills will suggest a gas grill even though he doesn't particularly LIKE gas grills (nor do I).
I also know of several NON-WHEAT containing charcoals now.

NOW.

*sigh*

In charcoal.......
IN charcoal.
*%$#**!!!!!!

7 comments:

Ron said...

"Freaking wheat....
......IN CHARCOAL."

OMG...you're kidding me?!? Who knew????

"I told him I wanted to buy time and let things 'settle' a bit. I assured him I'd work on gaining back that 8 pounds that got lost....and we'd see if getting back into the 'routine' didn't solve some of the issues."

I think that's a GREAT plan, Mel. Let things settle a bit and then go back to your routine.

Sending ya a BIG hug of Reiki....

(((((((((( Mel ))))))))))))

X

barb said...

OMG! I never knew that charcoal was "wheat ladened". That is really crazy and yes, enough to make people sick without knowing.

Geez; that's probablt enough to make my coal miner of a gr-gr grandaddy turn over in his grave...

I hope that you can find a good substiute charcoal for your BBQs.
And do take care, dear lady.

Valerie said...

Wheat in charcoal? I'd work that out if I had the mental capacity. I think the gas grill is the only answer... tell himself that your health comes first. Hope you start to feel better soon, Mel.

LindyLouMac said...

Goodness me and it is not as if you are even eating the charcoal, poor you! Take Care.

Spadoman said...

It would take some effort, (what's new?), and more time, but you can use oak wood sticks to grill with, right in the BBQ. Oak makes great coals and is the hottest. Find a small batch of oak firewood and split it into small thin pieces and some small little blocks, like little pieces of 2" X 4". Light 'er up, let them burn down and you have your own wheat free coals.
We use a gas grill, and we have this little cast iron box that holds small pieces of wood, mesquite chips. We soak the chips, then put them into the cast iron thingie and they smoke like crazy. Adds some zestyness to the food.
Sorry you have to deal with the gluten crap, and will start praying you'll be feeling top notch soon.

Peace

amy@ Souldipper said...

How on earth did you finally come to this realization? How did you unearth this incredible info?

Shocking! In this time of gluten awareness and sensitivity, it would behoove the manufacturers to so inform the users!

Mel, I really have been praying for you daily in my meditation. For both your sister and you. I have had the feeling things were not up to "par" with you! This explains it. Take good care, my friend. It may be a stroke of longevity to write on the calendar! Sorry...I couldn't resist, you rascal!

mig said...

Good heavens! What will they think of next. That's so not what you'd expect! I mean do we have to read the ingredients on the gas and water and air labels now????
Still it's good that you've found the culprit and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.
xxx