A real blessing of growing old is the freedom it gives us to be who we really are.
Of course, we could have been our real selves our whole lives.
No doubt some of us were.
However, far too many of us struggled to impress others with the person we thought we ought to be, and in the process, we lost a lot of real living.
Fortunately, it's never too late to project the real us.
Do we know for certain who we really are?
Age is no guarantee that we do.
Living through others is not so uncommon, unfortunately, and if that describes us, then we still have the task of discovering who we really are.
But let's think of it as an adventure rather than a task.
It's a journey, one that promises to be full of surprises.
We have earned the right to speak our minds.
We have earned the right to whatever beliefs appeal to us.
Most particularly, we have earned the right to spend our days fulfilling whatever dreams we want.
We're lucky.
Being as silly as I want to be today feels good.
I have it coming!

3 comments:
I thought the fairy was talking about me this morning. I am so glad that at long last (68 years) I have managed to find myself. At least partly. And I'm not wasting a minute of this new found me. Great post Mel.
"A real blessing of growing old is the freedom it gives us to be who we really are."
Oh, how true that is. And this is why I've so enjoyed getting older - there is a freedom.
"Being as silly as I want to be today feels good."
Yup...definitely a SILLY 57-year old man - HA!
X
Getting older. I'm not a fan. Especially when I look in the mirror. I really don't like seeing my mother in my mirror. In my eyes she was not a pretty lady...and now I'm starting to look like her. :-/ I'm also the same age she was when I got married. Good grief. That's down right scary!!!!
I guess this one just doesn't fly for me. Well...except for the part about being silly. I like that part a lot. That makes me forget the mirror.
p.s. The interview went well tonight. "Really well." He said. Now we wait until Oct 1/2 to learn anything. Keep in mind...my personal prayer is to be in my next house before Halloween...because he's got "the" job. I've got all the makings for a spider party in storage, you know!!!
Post a Comment