Sunday, September 22, 2013

UPAT

I suck at this.  I really do.  The doc knows it, his team knows it.  PRETTY sure he put it on the chart in bold letters.  I've read it multiple times in his summary of visits......I manage pain well.  I pretty well 'suck it up' and 'keep moving'.  I know that's not a bad thing.  It just makes it difficult for me to converse about pain levels--which makes it difficult for them to treat it.  LOL  "That's NOT nice" is my answer.  (that's until some police officer offers to move me off of the ice with a broken leg--then it's accompanied with colourful language and a well placed slug).
I required two nerve blocks in recovery.  They asked for a number or a word......I couldn't answer either time they asked. I was a bit tearful and a bit busy trying not to breathe.  Yup--they guessed me at a 10.  I'm thinkin' they were probably right.
I still haven't recovered the full range of feeling in that left leg.....(*note to self:  tell the doc next visit)

They did a number on that leg--this I know for certain.  I didn't know the scale of what that meant and I've been chasing that reality ever since I woke up from the surgery.  It wasn't the run of the mill surgery. This is why two other hospitals refused to touch me when I first broke the darn thing.  It's also a part of why we chased trying to avoid the darn surgery, tacking on 9 months of a failed attempt in the whole stupid process.

I still have issues with how I'm seeing this--I think "broken leg.......whoopie ding. Cast it, get up and go."
When I think major surgery, I think what the sister went through. This is/was NOT the same magnitude.  It's a stupid broken leg.  It's a stupid broken leg that we've been working to 'fix' for 10 months now.
Oy.......  I'm cranky.

I do suck at the pain deal.  Part of the 'why we're here' is because I sucked it up and kept moving when there was a significant amount of pain that I couldn't articulate....or wouldn't....  The bone shifted early in the gig and I believe when it did that, I lost some of that window of opportunity for healing to happen.

I don't DO pain very well.
Wait....I DO do pain very well. I don't articulate that it's happening--I suck it up and keep moving.
I don't wanna NOT own the pain if it's present--but I don't wanna make it bigger than it is cuz I really DO have a good threshold for pain.  I'll let you know when I hit the wall.  But like other times in my life--they don't WANT me to hit the wall.....they want me to keep ahead of it so I DON'T hit the wall.

This is the part that I struggle with.  And I have the history of struggling with it.....I suck at it.
I don't wanna take pain medications--they make me fuzzy, they make me forget stuff--they're a narcotic for crying out loud. I didn't abuse this stuff when I was out using!  I didn't wanna 'slow down and go nite nite'....I wanted to gogogo forever!  Yeah.....notsomuch fond of the 'downers' end of the spectrum.  *sigh*  But I DO have the potential for abuse regardless, I know this.  The doc knows this...pretty sure THAT'S in bold letters on the chart, too.  I toss that card on the top of the pile from the word get-go.

I haven't quite figured this deal out......  I can go all day without pain medications--and then 5pm comes. (Oy....something about the evening...)
I can have 2 every 4 hours.  I've been trying to take nothing--and then 5pm happens and I take one.  10pm happens and I'm taking another one and hoping I can just go nite-nite and wake up feeling better.
Repeat!
It's the "repeat" deal that I'm not pleased about.  It's three weeks post surgery.  Himself says "It's only three weeks."
I keep looking at him like he's nutz....it's three weeks--there's no 'only' to it!  It's working up to a month here, buckaroo!  I should NOT still be taking pain medications and having the level of pain that requires that I DO take pain medications....and is it really pain or am I simply taking it because it's discomfort and I don't want it to explode INto pain.
I love second guessing my decisions.
He-who-pushes-me-to-take-the-medications is quick to point out the physician had no issue giving me a refill script for use during the next six weeks.  I haven't finished the first script.
I don't know what's 'normal' for this procedure--and I don't know when I oughta be concerned about the pain.....'cept he did tell me if the meds don't make the pain go bye-bye....call the doctor on call and don't wait.
I figure I've gone all day without pain medication--small wonder at 5pm it's not feeling so 'nice'.  Taking the second at 10pm and going nite-nite, waking up and feeling better.....sounds normal to me!  But what the heck do I know.  I sucked it up when the bone shifted in the first cast.
Yup--I'm nervous.  That's the deal.
Took me all this typing to get to that truth.

*sigh*
I know.....I'm gonna HAFFTA ring the doc and sound like an idiot........again.....
Oh boy!!!!
One of my favoritest things to do!!!

NOT!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Ron said...

"I don't wanna NOT own the pain if it's present--but I don't wanna make it bigger than it is cuz I really DO have a good threshold for pain."

Mel, I'm the same way. I remember two years ago when I had that horrendous tooth abscess and went to the oral surgeon to have it drained. OY VEY...pain like I've never felt before. He gave me some strong pain killers for afterward, but I never took them - only aspirin. I can deal with pain during the day, but it's at night (to sleep) that I will always take something.

((((((((( You ))))))))

X

Bill said...

Mel what would you be telling me if I wasn't taking my medications as the doctor prescribed? I think we both know the answer to that one.
Doctors seem to think I have a high pain tolerance. When I was younger I think I had the idea I was showing how tough and macho I was. I toughed a lot out. Now I just look
Back and laugh at myself. How much did I needlessly put myself through.
I now believe the body heals better, maybe faster if it is pain free. When in pain we tense up in that area. Does that make healing more difficult, I don't know. Now I admit to being a whimp, not trying to impress anyone.
You don't have to over do it, but I try to stay ahead of the pain. No need to suffer.
Keep your chin up my friend
Bill and Vi

L'Adelaide said...

Hey mel,
listen to bill above there... take the meds because healing is held up with pain. your entire brain goes nuts trying to reroute the pain to new synapses and so goes haywire over time.. the issue with chronic pain in the first place is what it does to the brain. after awhile in chronic pain-and everyone is different-the brain has literal holes within, guessing they're microscopic but still... holes in it trying to cope with the overwhelm of pain messages it's getting. so take the meds, dear.

for a bit of perspective, you aren't on hardly any pain med at all!! two?? you are too impatient-heard that one yet? you won't be feeling better for months, is my guess.

you had a real doozy of a surgery on many different levels and your body has to have time to heal all those things, not just your leg. it's only part of it. and it's going to be slowed up due to the other whammies.

just relax, dear heart, hard as that is to do, relax, take meds if need be, whatever you need and give yourself a break. how many times have you given someone else that advice? you know what i mean... accept those limits for now. all will change. life is nothing but change.

everyday you get "different"... sure, not better necessarily but things are always changing within and without. and you will be better anyway as after all, and you said it, it's just a stupid broken leg. :)

xoxoxox

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Geee.....I do hope that doc can give you some real solid answers. And seriously...it seems like the two times you're taking the drugs is reasonable. The question I have is why do you have the pain...I know you just had a crazy hard surgery...but I always look to the root...what is the source and why will the pain go away is as important as why you have it. I'm a "why" gal...
It seems that I remember that Norman Cousins "cured" his pain and his cancer by laughing and watching funny movies/shows. I wonder what would happen if at 4 PM you started to watch some old funny movies...especially the kind that initiate belly laughs? Wouldn't it be cool if it really worked? Let me know if your try it. :)
And know...I'm praying...and my friend...I am truly sorry that your road hasn't gotten smoother.
{{{{hugs}}}}

Spadoman said...

I want to yell at you. I want to hug you. I want to listen and try to understand your thinking. I want to cure your leg. I want you to be out of pain. I want to spank you, and not in the fetish way, but in the you better start behaving way.
What I will do is keep praying like we did in the Sweat Lodge last Saturday night. Yep, all of us. I asked for prayers for my friend.
Mel, you just have to take the meds on a schedule. In my experience with the latest go-round with my heart stuff and the toe, that was the best way to get through it. Oh, and some patience, which neither of us have.
We love you Mel and want you to get through this.

Peace

Anonymous said...

(((MEL)))

barb said...

Hey there Mel,

You never know where we will be with pain until you are in between that "rock and a hard plate".
You gotta be there to know it.

I was there after a major surgery.Starting off with a bang the evening after the surgery and needing help very badly ( at least an 8 or 9 on the scale), then having my body tolerate the pain better with the meds through the following day.

But, your body may tolerate pain to a higher degree.

Hang in there, iron girl xoxo

Amy@SoulDipper said...

Hey, Mel, those of us in the Sisterhood know we suck at following orders. But we're smart enough to know when it's time to stop bucking the instructions.

I'm a little late in writing this, but with all sorts of love in my heart, I wanna say, "Behave yourself and listen to your doctor!"

Yah, yah, yah...Tsk!