Saturday, January 06, 2007

Noshows

Wanting to control other people, to make them live as we'd have them live, makes the attainment of serenity impossible.
And serenity is the goal we are seeking in recovery, in this life.

We are each powerless over others, which relieves us of a great burden.
Controlling our own behavior is a big enough job.
Learning to behave responsibly takes practice.
Most of us in this recovery program have behaved irresponsibly for much of our lives.

But every responsible action we take gives us the courage for another--and then another.
Our own fulfillment, in part, is the by-product of the accumulation of our own responsible actions.

Thankyouverymuch reading fairies.
If I wanna worry about other people and try to convince them to do things MY way--I WILL!
Sooooo--pfffffffffftttttttt!!!!!!!

*sigh*
Yeah, yeah.....I know that keeping me where I need to be is a fulltime job.
And I know the reading's not about caring about other people, it's about trying to control other people.

Some moments I have a tough time trusting the journey for other people. I don't get to know 'the plan' for other people's lives.
Heck, I don't even get to know 'the plan' for MY life.
Frankly, I wouldn't want to know.
I'd try to rewrite it, undoubtedly.

Oh face it........most days I'm blundering up, getting in the driver's seat and doing what I think is 'good for me'. HOW many times have I gotten all cocky half way through the moment only to discover that I mighta been a tad 'off the mark'.

I'm poofy because cuz there was this silent hope going on.....
I was hoping wisepersoninmylife and I would have the other fella joining us for coffee this morning.
I'd even left a voice mail last night to assure the fella that he was welcome to join me/us for coffee. Coffee on Saturday isn't conditional. Neither is my company.

It was a noshow for the fella.
Wisepersoninmylife tells me "it's not YOUR business".
I know he's right.
I know the reading fairies are right.
I also know that doesn't stop me from wanting to make it my business today.

And it might not stop me from actually MAKING it my business...... I'm kinda like a dog with a bone that way.
Nope, I don't get to control it.
But I can sure mess with it if I can get the audience.

I made the mistake of telling that to wisepersoninmylife...........and he scowled.
But he had to admit........ if it were me who was the 'noshow'--he'd try to mess with it too.

2 comments:

mig bardsley said...

You can't help caring.
But I have enough trouble controlling myself, just no time to try and control other people...that's part laziness and part self-centredness. But part common sense too. I hope :)

I, Like The View said...

oh I've learnt this the hard way, mel

everyone has to get where they need to get in their own timespan

what I needed to work on was making sure I didn't race on ahead; so, in my case, I missed when they got there

I know your fella will be luckier - you'll still be waiting for him when he is ready to get there under his own steam

X