Thursday, May 20, 2010

Today


"Tell me something you learned today."

That's a pretty predictable thing that comes from my mouth.

"Tell me ONE thing you know now that you didn't know when you woke up this morning."

The kiddos at work are pretty crafty--some have taken to making things up about math cuz they know I SUCK at it and wouldn't know if it was truth or lie. LOL
It's kinda interesting to sit in a room filled with adults and make the same request of them.
I even broadened it.

"Tell me something you learned in the last three days."

They scrambled.
I mean SCRAMBLED.
Nervous laughter happened.
People started doodling and tending to some non-existent work in front of them. (that's disallowed in meetings dontchaknow--100% attention and participation means you leave the 'junk' from the room and that you're 'present', tyvm!)

It took 'em a while.
And they're 'the professionals'.

Someone learned about a function in Excel.
Someone else learned about brake pads.
Another person learned how to request funding from an infrequently used source.
Another learned how to use a fire extinguisher.

And then I looked at the gal, relatively new to the team, who was squiggling in her chair....

"I learned how little I truly KNOW.....how much what I THINK I know gets in the way of hearing someone who's trying to teach me about THEM."

I coulda kissed her.


Ah yes....It's another great day for learning!

2 comments:

Spadoman said...

You said, "Tell me ONE thing you know now that you didn't know when you woke up this morning."

I learned that I need a new set of tires on the Triumph. I was slidin' all over the place on gravely turns on a spirited ride this morning.

Peace

Ron said...

"I learned how little I truly KNOW.....how much what I THINK I know gets in the way of hearing someone who's trying to teach me about THEM."

BRAVA to that gal!!!

If I was there, I coulda kissed her too!

It's another great day for learning!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this story, Mel!

I learned A LOT!

(((( Mel ))))

X