Monday, August 06, 2007

The T-shirt adventure.....

If you've never had the experience of losing your hair, you've never had the experience.

I have. More than once.
As a 'used to be long, auburn and naturally curly', I was a little bit disturbed when the oncologist 'suggested' that I cut my hair short. It was preparation for the fall-out.
Using my sense of humour was a good plan. It served me well.
However, I still was NOT prepared for the fall-out....figuratively or literally.

The past few weeks I've been getting to walk through some really tough moments with one of my co-workers. She's getting chemo-therapy for ovarian cancer--round three of the cocktails. She's not having the best of times.
She'd done a bit of gloating over keeping her hair the two earlier rounds. It gave her a sense of satisfaction during the storm, no doubt.

This round, she's losing it.
This round she lost it.
And this round we were ready with t-shirts in a lovely teal colour, complete with a bold "BALD IS BEAUTIFUL" printed on the back.

All the kiddos........all the unit staff members........some of the mom's and dad's that we get to work with.....
Yep. We were prepared.

Being the lucky 'person in charge', I got to 'detain' the gal from lunch so they could all line up and warm up for when we walked through the door.

And when we walked through the door----63 teal t-shirts dancin' the Macarena.....and whoa BABY can some of those folks DO the Macarena!

She cried.
And yep.....I got weepy.

But BOY did we do some serious dancin' and laughin'.
Life's just way too precious........

11 comments:

Lixie said...

You have me crying again. I feel so humble.

A womans hair is her crowing glory. I have lost my hair in the past. It's back now but never gonna be quite the same.

I didn't know how much ME was my hair till it wasn't there.

Do your Magic Mel.

You allow me to peek at your world.

Thank you... X

Unknown said...

What a blessing and how fun to be a part of it! Good job, Mel!

katherine. said...

what a great idea. Little Missy's best friend is currently battling leukemia at 19...and losing her hair was tough.

Unknown said...

Loosing your hair is the worst thing but discovering how to shave off 20 or more minutes of getting ready for work time is good. I may never grow my hair long again.

Anonymous said...

Bald IS beautiful,.. AND aerodynamic.

Trish said...

Beautiful! You've touched my heart yet again, Mel!

Fire Byrd said...

You are a joy to know mel.
and i love you loads.
pxx

I, Like The View said...

I was literally just writing that I didn't know what colour your hair was (but I got it right)

when my mother lost her hair, totally subconsciously I cut all mine off - went from shoulder length to about an inch long

think the t-shirts are a fab idea

FAB

you guys are so special - and I feel priviledged to follow everyone's stories here

thank you

mig bardsley said...

Mel you are such a sweetheart.

caro said...

What an awesome thing, Mel, thank you for allowing us to peak into your world and the lives of those you touch! *hugs*

Anonymous G said...

Awww, that woulda made me cry, too! What a sweet, supportive gesture.

Chemo is not the funnest ride as it IS, but losing your hair is just the (ironic) icing on the cake. It's an emotional experience like none other.

63 of you. WOW... that's just terrific.

xo