Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The list

For the past three weeks, there's been a list that's been given life on a small legal pad -- the pages turn from the top.

Yellow, of course, it reminds me every time that sunshine WILL come and it's okay to feel frightened. Strange that I equate yellow to fear and to hope......

But that list resides on a pad of paper that's little enough to go everywhere with me--and it hides under all the rest of the stuff well....
....literally and figuratively.


For three weeks, I've crossed off from the top as I've gone.

And added to the bottom.
And crossed off from the top.
And added to the bottom.
And crossed off from the top.
And added to the bottom.......and crossed off from the top.

And added to the bottom.

Day in, day out.....there's been no rest from that little pad of legal paper.
Calls to be made. Tasks to be done. Work that was required......

It's been what I've clung to.
It's kept me focused and organized.
It's kept me centered on whittling away at the seemingly insurmountable circumstances.
It's kept me doing.
And doing.
And doing.
And doing.

Cross off from the top.
Add to the bottom.
Cross off from the top.
Add to the bottom.
Cross off from the top.

Add to the bottom.....




I swore in church today.

The priest spoke about the difference that was made in the lives of not just the kiddos and families, but in the lives of co-workers.

Tears welled up.

And I muttered..... "Sh*t....."

That was 'enough'.
They didn't fall.
And for that--I was grateful.

"Ain't your turn to fall apart, Mel....."

It'll come.

In the meantime--cross off from the top of the list.
Add to the bottom.
Cross off from the top.
Add to the bottom.......

8 comments:

The CEO said...

Dear Mel,
Please make time and place for you to fall apart. Cry, pound a boulder with a hammer, yell, scream, whatever. Get back to me afterwards. {{{{{ Mel }}}}}
Thank you
Monty

katherine. said...

I'm really excellent at building an emergency dam to hold it back...and hold it all in.

the swearing thing sure does helps doesn't it?

knowing the little bit I know...you are overdue...and your weblog friends aren't the only ones who know it, are we?

if you don't take your turn...if you don't take the time....everything behind the dam will break thru.

damn.

and it break open at one of the least opportune moments...at one of the most difficult places...with the most embarrassing witnesses.

double damn.

so...

the next thing that gets added at the bottom of your little yellow legal pad is...

CheekyDani said...

Lists keep me sane too much of the time. But I once wrote out everything I had to do in one final list and it was scary.

But yes, cry, scream, shout, whatever you need to do to make it through. And write lists. x

Fire Byrd said...

Could you possibly add two two things to your list to cross of from the top and....
1.They are let go of your feelings before you explode.
Which doesn't mean your falling apart, just means your letting go of some of the build up inside.
2.Be kind to yourself big time.
love and hugs my friend
xx

Skeeter said...

Hi!

An interesting and thoughtful post. It's good to be in touch with feelings and live life fully.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

I, Like The View said...

list

yup - same here

:-/

oooh look

LIST
SAME
HERE
OOOH
LOOK


(-:

XXXX

Pamela said...

Seriously. Let it out.

Tara Lamont said...

The list sometimes helps, but if it makes things worse - toss it out.
A have a good cry over the waste basket you toss it into.

Everyone needs a redo sometime.