Thursday, January 14, 2010

Today's Reading


When we were children, we may have tried to fit an outgrown article of clothing on to our body. Now, as adults, we may go through a time of trying to force fit attitudes that we have outgrown. We may need to do this to give ourselves time to realize the truth. What worked last year, what was so important and special to us in times past, doesn't work anymore because we've changed. We've grown.

We can accept this as a valid and important part of growing. We can let ourselves go through experimentation and grief as we struggle to make something fit, trying to figure out if indeed it no longer fits, and why. We can explore our feelings and thoughts around what has happened.

Then, we can put last year's toys away and make room for the new.

4 comments:

I, Like The View said...

thank you

mig said...

Generally I wait until I'm busting out all over before admitting I might have grown a bit. And I don't just mean clothes.
But it's a good metaphor.

katherine. said...

I am soooooo glad this isn't about adults out growing their clothes.

smile.

Ron said...

OMG...this is such a BRILLIANT way to put it!!

BRAVA fairies!

And thanks for the reminder.

Thanks, Mel!

X