It's a bug with a lesson for me.It's an eight year journey. Eight YEARS.
And it's the sound of summer.
When I hear that cicada singing to me, I know......
There's an adventure going on in our front yard.The cicada's are back!! The cicada's are back!!!
Okay..........so probably not a whole lot of folks get too excited about having singing bugs in their yard.
Count me in as an odd duck.
I wait to hear those little bugs.
Okay, so they're not little....LOL And they're not the world's most attractive bug.
But they sure do sing wonderfully.
And I think they sing for me. (I would.....LOL I think nearly EVERYthing is about MEMEME!!)
Ya know.....it takes those ugly bugs eight YEARS to leave their home in the ground to cling to that tree, make that climb, bust out of their shells and sing to me. The good news is they all don't make the journey on that sole eight year cycle--though some cicada's only make the one journey every 13-17 years without sticking their heads out, period. They're a "see ya in another 13-17 years" kinda bug. I'd miss summer if ours didn't bother to take turns on when they peeked out. Regardless, it's still eight years for one of them to pop out their holes to make that summer song.
I'll give 'em that they sing pretty....and pretty loud.
I'll also give 'em that they persevere well, that they know the plan for their lifetime (make that 30-40 days for the fellas, less for the girlies who die after laying eggs--poor things....). No one points them in the general direction of the tree--but they manage to find the darn thing. And climb they do.......steadily.
Sometimes past the empty shells of the fella/gal that emerged from their shell the night before. Steady Eddies, they are.....................determined and clear on their purpose.
They bust out and find their wings.
They get to finally fly to the top of the trees......and they sing.
And they keep singing through it all.
Every night.
Rain.
Heat.
Wind.
Storms.....
They sing.
Hard to believe I see a grand story in the life of a bug, huh?
Still...... I do.
It makes me smile even more when the chorus begins.
It gives me appreciation for the 'plan' in my life.
It's unfolding.....rain or shine, during the calm and during the storm.
I just need to remember to sing, eh?
A LOT.
Always.....
I'm gonna sing!
3 comments:
See,
I learn something new everyday!
:)
They do sound cool up in the trees. But... they R ugly! Ewww.!.
...and I really hate their shells!
;]
That's absolutely fantastic. I never knew anything about cicadas before (except you get them as background scene setting in novels :)
Yeah, you sing as loud as you can :) Singing is good for your soul.
now I love the sound of cicadas but have never seen one before
so thank you!!
however, now I have seen one I'll try not to think of bugs (roachy kinda bugs) next time I hear them sing. . .
but, let's here it for singing in general!!
(HELP!!! can't actually think of a good lyric. . . apart from that Abba song: Thank You For The Music, The Songs I'm Singing, or ole Big Nose himself, Barry M, I Write The Songs That Make The Whole World Sing - oh shit, that's my day gone for a burton!)(my whole weekend, possibly!)
Post a Comment