Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day 2008

It's Independence Day......
It's early.
And I'm tired, go figure.

I think it's the amount of emotional energy that's getting packed into the days as of late.
I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for some additional responsibilities to help organize folks who are providing counseling to flood victims.
Three counties worth of flood victims, no less.
And it's really not a small undertaking......the grant is a gift--and trust me when I say that I can't say that loud enough.
It truly is a gift....there's so many people hurting, so many lives forever changed.....

I didn't apply for the grant--I'm pretty clear I was too emotionally emeshed in the devastation and not thinking about things in a broader sense.
But boy....I'm glad someone had their stuff together to do the writing that needed done.
It certainly wasn't me.

I did get in the middle and offered to help organize.
And since it's three counties we're serving and I was 'ordered' to physically steer clear of the risks involved by being in the trenches of it all--I raised my hand for being one of three people to organize those folks who can be where I cannot.
*sigh*
And I soooo feel a need to be in the thick of things.....
But I don't get to be.
And I'm working on getting over that.
Failing miserably.....but workin' on it.......

Hopefully soon?


Photos of lives scattered on lawns to dry.
Piles of debrise tossed to the parking, waiting on trucks that will carry their life possessions, their memories, their children's toys to six football fields worth of 'in the process of being created' dump sites.
Empty eyes of those who've lost their homes, their jobs, their pets but not their families.




Don't forget gratitude as you scramble to piece together and salvage the ravaged remains......


The fireworks will still go off tonight.
Sparklers will happen.


Life goes on.

5 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

Awwww Mel...You are an angel walking. I hope you have a beautiful Fourth & when the time comes, I hope you enjoy your get-away to the beach. May Mother Nature bless you with cool breezes, warm sunshine & tender moonlight.

I, Like The View said...

I had no idea, or if I did it's been removed from my brain by the treatment

I'm so sorry

you are in my thoughts and prayers

Jeff B said...

This gave me chills as I read it. Between the floods and the fires, this country has taken quite a beating this year. Bless you for being one of the people who are willing to help put it back together. I'm sure it feels overwhelming at times, but no mater how little of how great your part is, it does make a difference.

katherine. said...

{{{mel}}}

it is so true that expending emotional energy can be even more tiring than phyical labor.

seven football fields worth...sigh

on today especially... I am thankful to live in a country where grants are there for the application!

And for people like you Mel...who step up to help those who are in the midst of devestaion. Just because you aren't in the thick of the muddy debris...doesn't mean you aren't in the thick of the heartbreak.

Sparklers are banned here....the fire threat is too great....so wave one for me!!!

laughing...how does Himself celebrate our Independence?????

mig bardsley said...

It's too too sad.
but as Katherine says, thank heavens for people like you Mel. Without you it would be so much harder for the people who can be on the ground. So you're helping twice. Both the ones who've been flooded out and their helpers.
xxx