Thursday, July 24, 2008

omgosh......TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I love trains.

I grew up around trains--and I've kept this love affair with trains going for a whole lifetime.
And we ended our journey four hours shy of being home.....this after nine hours drivetime. It was just time to call it 'done' and surrender to the fact that four more hours would equal stupid if not dangerous!

So we landed in a spot that has trains! (figured we'd find some consolation for not being home! LOL)
And we got to watch trains.....I was especially thrilled to stand on the platform to photograph the gentle train. It came up the hill at a slow pace, passed the platform and posed for me, even! (what a nice little gentle train!!!!!)

And about fifteen minutes later, after walking around photographing the sunset--himself tells me a SECOND train is coming!

Oh---if some is good.....MORE is better!
Back onto the platform I went with camera posed!

I could hear it....
I could see it!

Snap.
Snap!
Two photos in a row......


Yup....two photos in a row...

....and then.....

......I looked up--mostly cuz of the noise........some cuz it just was NOT showing up in the viewfinder of the camera........

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!


TRAIN!!!!!!


Big!

Noisy!!

REALLY fast!

Big "B".......lots of blur.......orange!!!!!!


TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!




I don't mind confessing that I had a few seconds of awe before the brain kicked in and moving BACK seemed like a really, REALLY good plan.
So I turned around and promptly ran into the steel post placed at the edge of the platform to stop cars from driving onto it.




TRAIN.


REALLY big.


REALLY noisy!!!!!!


REALLY REALLY FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!


OH.


MY.


GOSH!!!!!!

Himself tells me I was probably less than five feet away from the two ten ton locomotives pulling the full load of coal which was PROBABLY going 50 mph......if not better.
That's saying nothing of the two ten ton locomotives at the BACK of the train that were pushing it so they could sustain that speed!

O
M
Gosh!!!!!
TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The above was the blur I photographed while I was still trying to catch my breath from the stupid steel post, ignoring the scolding (which I couldn't hear over the roar) that himself was giving me.

OMG.......TRAIN!
Upclose, personal......WOW.......

BIG.
NOISY.
FAST.
And really, REALLY close!!!!!

Holy moly......it WAS an experience, lemme tell ya.
One I won't be repeating, thanksverymuch!
But how cool!!!!!!!

(k.....bruise on the chest--not cool.......scolding from himself for being so darn close--not cool.....)

k......truth is I figured it was just another gentle train.


Ooops? :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice shots of the train coming.

Ron said...

OMG Mel...I so TOTALLY share your passion and excitement of CHOO-CHOO'S!!!

Ever since I was child and my mother would take us to the city every year right before Christmas, I would joyfully anticipate the ride on the TRAIN as being the BEST thing about the day!

A train is my favorite mode of transportation.

Really, really COOL shots, Mel!!

choo-choo!

katherine. said...

I love trains too....on my way as I speak to get on the ACE train....(the bus over the hill has wifi....how cool is THAT?)

there is a joke to be made here about mel walking into a bar....but you don't drink anymore so...my fried brain just can't put it together....laughing...

mig bardsley said...

WoW!
That was a train and a half! So exciting. You might not have chosen to be so close but since you were ....WOW!

And I so love the pink, sunset, gentle train :)

I, Like The View said...

YIKES

my heart is pounding just reading about that. . .

. . .am breathing deeply now, and slowly, to try and calm down

you take care of yourself, you hear? that's far more important than a photo opportunity (altho I must confess to loving trains - the Orient Express used to go past the bottom of the front garden in the last house but three)(you could hear it comin' a mile off, steam puffin' and toot-tootin' as it went)(grew up reading my big bro's Thomas the Tank Engine books, ya see)(and read them all to mine)(and had an oringal Brio train set, still in the box from Scandinavia, that I nicked from my parents' house when my father wasn't looking and let my children play with)(you might have to ATB about TtTE and Brio)(unless he was a Mecano boy?!)

XXX


so glad you stepped back from that noisy train

so glad


XXX


(((((((((((((((mel)))))))))))

Lady in red said...

omg mel did you see any trains. My mum has a rail line at the back of her garden and I love to see the trains going past.