Sunday, June 05, 2011

Are you my mother?

Yup--here we go again.......

Last year (or was it the year prior....) we dealt with the baby cardinal--this year (despite my lack of love for the bird....) baby grackle.
The poor thing.

I made himself park in the yard to give the wee birdie plenty of opportunity to be herded home by his parents.
Umm....notsomuch.....

So, I had himself place the baby BACK into the plants where I could hear other babies making a ruckus.
Good in theory--however, VERY clear he wasn't the brother to the ones we tried to place him with. In went three grownups--out came the wee birdie.
Hop, hop, hop......try to flap....and scream. A LOT.

(If you've not had the pleasure of hearing baby grackles--they DO scream....omgosh.....)

He did make it to another place of safety--with the encouragement of his parents.
And then.....out pops another baby grackle.

Certainly he's got to be kidding.....

Repeat. Repeat.
Repeat.

FOUR baby grackles later, all doing their hop, hop, hop...try to flap..and SCREAM routine--I was pretty convinced we had to be done.

We were!
Still other babies in the plants (musta been a couple nests that got relocated thanks to the wind?)--four others transplanted to another private area, far far away from the noise of the remaining, screaming baby grackles.

And today........

Oy.
REPEAT!!!!!!

I wonder how many will cross the yard for parts unknown, today!

<-- will have an excuse to return to patio sitting!

*waving*

8 comments:

Amy@Souldipper said...

I've been having a grackling robins around me! They are furious. I'm afraid my cat, Duc, is being a self-satisfied connoisseur of feathery friends. The robins have ganged up on him. There is a perfectly round bald spot above his eye...some robin got a tuft of fur for the nest.

Spadoman said...

Poiur me a cuppa coffeee, I'll sit with you and chit chat while we watch the grackles.

Peace

Skeeter said...

Got some myself! Lotsa new fliers in the neighborhood :-)

Best wishes,

Skeeter

NoRegrets said...

They will find their way, don't worry!

mig said...

My goodness what a marathon! And how lucky are those grackles that you're around to help!

Ron said...

OMG...yes, I remember reading, "Where Is My Mother!!!!"

Adorable book!

Bless you Mel, for helping this precious little cardinal.

((((( Mel ))))

*grackle...grackle*

X

english inukshuk said...

so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

(-:

english inukshuk said...

(the tale and the photo)