Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Fairy Reminder for Today


We have been trained and conditioned to give gifts on specific occasions.

Occasionally we give gifts to those who have a special meaning to us.

Unfortunately, this kind of giving is more for ourselves than for the person receiving the gift. Usually, we tell ourselves, "I don't have anything to give."

We have been miseducated about gift-giving.

We believe gifts must always bear a price tag or be given for a particular reason.

It is this kind of thinking that causes a drought in our giving supply.

The real joy in giving comes when we give what we have spontaneously, with no reason other than for the joy of giving.

It is this kind of giving that opens the door for us to receive.

When we give for the sake of giving rather than out of duty, we will begin to understand.

We can give our time, our energy, our thoughts.

We can give a book when we've finished it, something we can no longer wear or use, pay the toll for the car behind us, or give someone we don't know a compliment.

We actually have a great deal to give in may ways.


I give joyously from my heart just for the sake of giving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when my grandmother turned 60. At the time that seemed really, really old, and I started sending her gifts throughout the year just in case she didn't make it 'til Christmas.

She lived almost 40 more years, but I'm glad I started doing that. Now I never wait for an Occasion (and 60 no longer seems quite so old to me.)

Ron said...

Fabulous fairy reminder, Mel!

And I so agree...

"The real joy in giving comes when we give what we have spontaneously, with no reason other than for the joy of giving."

Often, I will give when I spontaneously see something that reminds me of a person, for no other reason than to give for the sake of giving.

And the most touching gifts I've ever received where the simple ones that came from quiet thoughtfulness.

"We can give a book when we've finished it, something we can no longer wear or use, pay the toll for the car behind us, or give someone we don't know a compliment."

LOVED that!

Hope you had a FAB day, dear lady!

(((( Mel ))))

X

mig said...

It is indeed a joy to be given unexpected opportunities to give and to have the perfect thing to hand - be it small kindnesses or things no longer needed. (Almost makes sense of hoarding - you never know, one day that old thing might be useful for someone else!)