70/30 That's about what the weight distribution is between the right/left leg. When I go about standing up and standing period. And this is why I get to practice standing up/sitting.
Oh, but I'm thrilled we're almost to 90 degrees range of motion! I know where I started--sitting down meant that leg was sticking out and everyone was tripping over it. I'm happily able to sit in a chair when we go out for a bite to eat now......as opposed to hoisting the leg onto the booth and hoping people didn't notice. *laughing* Like that was gonna happen with crutches hangin' around.
I am down to one crutch. I don't much use it around the house during the day. Sometimes himself drags it to where I've plopped and makes 'those' noises--yaknow, the clearing-throat-you're-not-excused-from-using-them noises.
NOW I'm excused. I can use a cane during the day (as appropriate--yet to be fully defined) and switch back to the crutch late at night/first thing in the morning when I need some help with weight being divided differently.
SILLY physical therapist--he thought I'd be happy to be rid of the crutch.
I've gotten kinda used to sticking it under my arm and dragging it down the halls at work as I go here and there (sometimes ya NEED both hands). And it's not that I'm not gonna be glad to get rid of the crutch.
I know how long I've had the darn things. I like pretending I'm Tiny Tim. :-/
Right....lemme say this...
A cane.
A CANE.
Seriously?! Me......and a cane.
The PT fella suggested WalMart for a starter cane--decide if it works for me and only be out $20 if it doesn't.
I can keep the crutch--though he thinks changing to a cane would be one of those progress kinda deals, "even if it's simply psychological".
I'm thinkin' he has no clue the implications, psychologically, of introducing me to a cane.
And this is why he's the physical therapist and I'm the therapist of another type.
A cane.
......k.....
8 comments:
" I'm thrilled we're almost to 90 degrees range of motion!"
That's AWESOME, Mel!!!!!
A friend of mine who had some knee surgery last year (actually two surgeries) is now using a cane as well. And as difficult as it was for him to get used to using one (psychologically) he eventually did get use to it. Actually, he bought a few different type style canes, so he can change them up a bit.
(((((((((((( You )))))))))))
X
When I needed a walking stick (a more ageing concept than a cane), I used a walking pole, which felt a bit less disabled. Crutches spell injury, whereas cane spells infirmity, is that the problem? I worked myself into it (I had to use a stick in the end) by asking myself if I felt superior to those who needed one and the answer was no. So I had to prove that. It was fine. Especially as it was temporary...
Hi Mel,
I am happy to hear of your progress!! I am sure that eating with your two feet on the floor feels nice! Small advances take us the the bigger ones.
I know that a cane does not sound sexy. But, try the cheap cane to see if it works for YOU!
xox
Lol...you do what works for you...of course!
Yay progress! A cane.. I
understand that one. I use one ONLY when I absolutely must. It's black and I'm always trying to conceal it. Silly.
And, if you don't mind too much.. I really need to SCREAM
and have no where else to do it.
Sometimes life isn't all roses.
Thanks, I needed that. ♥
excellent news of your progress Mel. I do hope that transitioning to a cane will still offer the level of support you need without pain. This has been such a terribly long recovery for you. I'm so thankful that you are truly healing.
see if the brit will get you a driving hat to go with it! then you can swing it about as you take a stroll..~grin~
You totally crack me up. Um....water and oil? Regardless...we need them both. ;)
Post a Comment