There's a little game I play. It's called 'how long will the lights remain off'.
I have the 'joy' of arriving first in the office. Not because I have a mean boss who set me up with the earliest hours he could to make my life miserable. I set them myself. Arriving at the office at 6:30 was the 'norm' for a number of years….only that's when the office was down the street. Now it's an hour's drive. It's become an almost pleasurable drive, it's alone time for me and the Big Guy. Time to peek into the world as the sun rises, when the darkness fades into a vast array of reds and oranges, pinks and purples as light fills the corners of this little space of the world.
The hands of the clock stand at attention as I wander into the darkness of the space where I reside for eight or more hours. And it's quiet. Almost eerily so, the sound of the electronics beeping as I log into a computerized system comes muffled through the door I'm not allowed to open. My happy little space is lit by the little tube that illuminates the fun stuff I surround myself with.
I plug away in solitude until I'm greeted by the high pitched "Good Morning!!" as the little IT fella finally arrives and tosses his treasure filled ruck sack into his 'space'. He tells me I have a high pitched, happy greeting—and the little poop tries to imitate it.
Nope. No overhead lights. We've become known as the 'cave dwellers'—a happy correction from the 'vampire' label that others tried to give us.
The little gal who's come to be my 'little buddy' arrives and slips into her space, sips on her coffee and yawns—but no overhead light happens.
And then the gal behind me, who laughs at the darkness we're operating in…..and then another and another.
"I wonder who'll make 'the list' today" I hear.
Yes, there's a list—and a now standing joke about the poor IT fella who "couldn't stand it anymore" and "apologized cuz he just HAD to turn on the lights". The list has become pretty long—filled with times and dates of the spoil-sports who couldn't honour the need for 'ambiance'. Pffftttt to them.
Even the receptionist is in on the gig—she let's people know "they really are here—they just like to work without the overhead lights on….."
I love it when someone comes into our 'work zone' and remarks "Geeze……isn't anyone working today"—and I hear the whole lot of 'em laugh and razz the poor unknowing victim.
No worries. Today the poor little IT fella who holds the record groaned as the lights came on at 9:04a.m.
"Okay—who turned on the lights?!" And ya gotta love the excuses and groans and harassing of the poor victim by the poor little IT guy who now wants everyone to leave the lights OFF so he doesn't hear: "No worries Phil—you still hold the record at 9:37 when you wimped out had just HAD to turn on the lights!"
There's something about hearing a bunch of 'professionals' erupt in snickering and jeering. *laughing*
I'm such a little agitator…….
1 comment:
"Nope. No overhead lights. We've become known as the 'cave dwellers'—a happy correction from the 'vampire' label that others tried to give us."
HAHAHAHAHA! Love it, Mel! And I'm same way. OMG...I can't stand overhead lights. Not only their glare, but also because they are the most UNflattering lights.
X
Post a Comment