Ill health of body or of mind, is defeat. Health alone is victory. Let all men, if they can manage it, contrive to be healthy.
— Thomas Carlyle
— Thomas Carlyle
This message, on the surface, could be upsetting to people who are chronically ill. Can we be sick and healthy at the same time? We learn that we can. Even if we have an ongoing health need, we can still create a new frame of reference which allows us to be as healthy as we can. Rather than letting our problems run us into the ground, we can make the opposite choice.
We can choose balance in our lives, by deciding to put the problem in its place as only one facet of our lives. At the moment we decide, at the moment we make a conscious decision to be a fighter, we will be striving toward wellness once again.
3 comments:
I couldn't find who said it, but I remember reading about a Buddhist monk who was dying of cancer. He was asked how he was doing, and said "There is pain. No suffering."
I think that's what this reflection was aiming for.
I love the quote Abbiestreehouse shared in her comment above. And I agree, I think that's what this reflection means.
We can experience physical pain, but can chose not to suffer.
Thanks so much for sharing this, Mel. Wise reminder.
X
much to ponder in this one Mel... i''m hopelessly ill, live with pain and do and don't suffer, dependent upon my acceptance of my path.. . not sure how that fits,
xoxox you
Post a Comment