This mornings' dusting of snow is just a prelude to this weeks forecasted blizzard. They're saying upwards to 10 inches--with 3 to 4 foot drifts.
The whole of this little town will do what little towns do: mass exodus to the stores to stock up on 'stuff'--anticipation of having to buckle in for a few days of closed/hazardous roads, the absence of the normal 'freedoms' of coming and going at will.
Great timing for Holiday baking, no doubt.
Seize the moment kinda stuff.
Make the most of the opportunity kinda stuff.
Lemonade from lemons.....
When I look backwards into the week I can see the opportunities that I've been gifted with.
Now granted, I didn't always look at them AS opportunities or gifts--honestly, sometimes I've muttered and sputtered and scrambled to simply 'plow through the drift' with little thought to what might be on the other side of the drift.
Face it--lots of opportunities start as 'unexpected drifts in the road' that Mel needs to plow through, one way or another.
And there was a huge list--a vast amount of opportunities that availed themselves to me this past week...
The mom who was outraged about what she'd been told by her child (an attempt at manipulation on the child's part).
The coworker who'd managed an error in documentation that meant wrong billing from wrong funds.
The worry that stems from the states budget cuts and what that means to the people around me....and me......
Get out the snow plow and shovels!!!
My role at work seems to be that of a 'storm chaser'.
Sometimes I curse that--other times I know I'm exactly where I'm suppose to be.....cuz I'm good at chasing storms and providing the clean-up efforts. I like that no two days are the same. I like plopping myself in the midst of the storm and saying "wow......ain't it pretty!" while the majority of folks are wincing and wanting to run willy-nilly to take cover.
My daddy was right--I don't have enough sense to get outta the storm. LOL
What I do have is the ability to stand in the midst of the storm and see some of the goodness in it.....the opportunities to teach and grow and stretch and build.
Yup. There's a blizzard forecasted this week. 3-4 foot drifts...
Buckle down--get ready.
Use the moments wisely.
They happen for reasons.
They're opportunities to stretch and grow and teach and build.
The examen, based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius, helps a person hold onto what spiritually nourishes him by looking at what is giving him consolation in his life or causing him desolation.

6 comments:
never fails to get me, the desolation v consolation thing
and the small shift in perception that turns one into the other
TYVM
Always storming somewhere, so I stay ready with my plow. Hang in there Mel, you are a gem among stones.
Peace.
enjoy the baking.
and the snow
and the getting out in it to play and make snow angels.
xx
I was reading a scripture last night and was struck by it's expression of desolation and then consolation. It's good to know that this practice isn't a new one and that storms always come and go, but G-d's comfort is always available to me (us).
After the challenges of this past week, I so needed to hold on to that fact. I seem to be a bit of a 'storm-chaser" as well. :)
"...lots of opportunities start as 'unexpected drifts in the road' that Mel needs to plow through, one way or another."
I think that applies to all of us, Mel. Thanks for sharing...and how appropriate in this winter season. G-d bless you.
You are a constant delight Mel. I can just see you standing in a blizzard, casting a guiding light and enjoying the beauty as well :)
Post a Comment