Monday, November 19, 2012

:-/ And again....... Oy......

Right.

I love being the voice of reason.

I've now cancelled Thanksgiving with the girl, her partner and the Bug.  *sigh*
I know it's the right thing to do.  That doesn't stop me from second guessing it and scrambling on the 'NOW what.......'

The other mom in the equation will have dinner in the early evening.  It's a rather large gathering with extended family.  It happens every year. And every year it's been a bit of a kerfuffle.   It's 90 minutes from them--2 1/2 hours from here....maybe three.  Dinner here would need to be noon-ish in order to get there with time to spare, of course.  And I work the morning of the holiday so my staff get time with their families.  Not to mention that the driving to the other mom's would mean darkness in the height of deer season--along the river in the wooded areas no less.

Every piece of me told me this was a bad plan.  I talked it with her last week and told her 'bad plan'.  Better to hit one parental home with driving in daylight than to try to cram two in with 4 1/2 hours of driving--2 of those in the dark.......on the holiday itself.  Offered to do dinner the day prior even--didn't work cuz of work requirements for them.  That'll happen!

As much as I enjoy the Bug dragging everything out and the girl dragging everything back, a 20 pound emu-like turkey in the oven and all the goodies that go with it that I can't eat...LOL....--it's just not smart.
So I told her to make the trip there and not here.
Love 'em to bits--but I'm not okay with this 'gotta hit two homes in one day' deal with them on the road for a good chunk of it.  I have vivid memories dividing holidays between two families, with wee ones in the car for five hours....and I gotta say......they aren't particularly warm, fuzzy memories.
They really CAN just do one.  And they can drive there in the daylight, even!
I don't mind which day of the week we get together, feed our faces, have silly conversations and get crazy.....we can do that any day of the week, any day of the year.

*laughing*  That's just every time we get together anyway!

Now--that leaves Thanksgiving with ME.......and 'he who laughs at us colonists'.
We're gonna haffta plan something really spiffy, really QUICK!



8 comments:

barb said...

Hi Mel,

I could eat Thanksgiving dinner on any day, taking a "raincheck" with love.
For me, it is the love that is the most important.
Wishing that if the love of family really prevails, fam will find solutions. I agree, driving in the dark is NOT fun...

Valerie said...

Yes, it's an age old problem for families. I think it's lovely that your girl even thought about sharing the day with both sides. This year will be the first time in YEARS that stepdaughter has been able to see us on Christmas Day... woweee! Son goes to the other mom, without fail.

LindyLouMac said...

Family gatherings at festivals are always a problem. We always alternated with our parents and now with our daughters.

Z said...

You're right - and kind and unselfish with it. It must have cost a few pangs though, hope you manage to have fun and you'll have e a great get-together to look forward to.

L'Adelaide said...

holidaze...gotta love 'em or they'll make us crazy... i hear you and think you did the perfect thing...eat crab, it's in season!! ;)

xox

mig said...

We have to do a very complicated arrangement every year with half the grandchildren having two families each and one of the partners having family in Italy.
It's worth being easy about the day we get to see them just so they're all happy - and still want to come and see us!
I hope your thanksgiving will be as spiffy as can be : )

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Oh I hope it was fabulous!!

Just the two of you?

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose himself approves of a holiday that celebrates NOT being British..~shrug~ I really missed my boy, spoke to him several times on the phone, not sure which one of us was missing the other more.. but..he's in a good place, so it's all good.