Monday, July 11, 2005

I'm doing laundry.

Yesterday, getting my standing hug upon his return, I got--

"Do you love me?"

Lotsa, whole bunches, more than yesteday!

"Well, I don't love me very much....."

And he proceeded to tell me that he'd passed an accident on the highway that had, obviously, ocurred a few moments earlier. He didn't stop. Ane he felt horrid even though there were a dozen or so people present and running to be of help. He did stop at the next house and asked the woman to ring for the ambulance/law enforcement.

And he asked what I would have done.
I wasn't there. I didn't see what he saw. I couldn't answer. I don't know that I wanted to answer.

He told me I would have stopped and he knew that.
I did tell him if he didn't like his solution this time, he didn't have to repeat it if (G-d forbid) there's a next time.

*sigh*

So, today I'm headed back from my meeting in CR, come 'round a curve where there's a particularly 'not good' intersection into a smalltown. ....and there's the car spun out in the middle of the lane, another in the ditch and four cars pulled/pulling over, with folks running to the scene.

And did I stop?
Yeah....I did. It's just who I inately AM.

I wasn't the first to arrive. Four or five other folks were attending to the people in two cars involved. I grabbed a couple blankets from the trunk of my car, found some gratitude that the 'help' already on the scene included a nurse and three of the folks present were certified in CPR and first aid(as am I). It didn't take us long to get organized-- I got asked to the crest of the highway and wave down the oncoming traffic. Blind part of the hill--good plan...especially when it's a 65 mph section of highway. I couldn't get out of there after the EMT's showed up. I was blocked in solid.

It's a bad, bad place to exit onto the highway--there's been too many accidents there already.

They life-flighted out at least one of the passengers.
It was messy.
I've been praying since I saw the cars where they weren't suppose to be.
I'm still praying.
And I'm home, instead of at work, laundering my clothes cuz I think I can salvage the slacks. And I wanted to stop shaking.

I called the Brit at work, left a message that I was fine--just in case he heard of the accident. I didn't get to talk with him.....I'm not even sure what I'm going to say cuz I know he'll feel worse about the day before.

I guess I needed to answer him with a resounding "I'd stop--I stop to make sure people have the help they need. Then I get out of their way."
Cuz I would--and will, every time.

He's gonna feel really crappy.
I guess that's 'okay'........

No comments: