Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The ending dance with 'Denial'......

One of the things that happen when you get really sick--is your relationships with people.....change.
Oh, I know they change with 'life', period.
But get a terminal illness and you'll discover that your interaction with the whole world becomes 'different'.

Right, wrong or indifferent....It just does.

You're not sure what you're doing or how you're gonna be dealing with all the 'stuff'.... they don't know what they're doing or how they're going to be dealing with all the 'stuff'....
Things get scary--for everyone.
They become really scary, really fast.
And even with the best of intentions, decisions get made and relationships get changed.....
......sometimes forever.


I got sick.
And then I got sicker.
And then I got really sick.
For a whole lot of years I did the dance of sick, better, sick, better, sick, really sick, sorta better....on and on ....and on......

It wasn't a fun time for anyone.

I really and truly don't fault anyone their decision.
I believe folks were doing the best that they could--dancing as fast as they possibly could with all the stuff that was going on in their lives and in mine.

And in all that 'dancing'-- I decided that a good friend and I needed to be separated in our journeys.
'Denial' needed to go down his path and I needed to go mine.
It was really difficult for 'Denial' to watch me do this dance with sickness over and over and over again.....it was really difficult for 'Denial' to abide by my wishes and let me make the best choice for me--even if the choice wasn't a comfortable choice for him, or for me.

So I 'x-ed' him out of my world.

Not in an angry,vindictive, hurtful way.
But I 'x-ed' 'Denial' out just the same.

I let 'Denial' go, in love, with love and out of love.
And I began my years worth of silent treatment with 'Denial'.

I got better and didn't tell 'Denial'.
I got into a relationship with a short little fella from England and didn't tell 'Denial'.
Kiddos acted out, kiddos ran away, kiddos moved out and on with their lives and I didn't tell 'Denial'.
I got married and didn't tell 'Denial'.

Whole lives changed and 'Denial' wasn't privy to the infomation.

Circumstances changed in my life over and over again--and 'Denial' was left in the dark.......wondering, worrying, hoping....praying......talking with the angel that I never became....

'Denial' entered back into my life without my knowing.

But there he was in all his glory--befuddled at my existence, overcome with joy for his discovery.

Not a whole lot has changed even though everything's changed.


And years of silence has only given way to the anger of being ripped off from the privilege of walking through the storms with a person you desperately wanted to do the journey with.......

15 comments:

mig bardsley said...

You ok Mel?
((((((((((Mel))))))))))

Kathryn said...

What Mig said.

Behind Blue Eyes said...

I'll have to admit, I'm not really sure I understand this post but it gave me food for thought anyway. Maybe still recovering from step 4, huh!

Enigma said...

Oh petal, .......
denial probably understood, why you felt you had to do it that way in the first place...if you really felt there was another way, you wouldve.
And maybe its for the best, who knows if it woulve been better if he did the journey with you..and who says you arnt the angel you are ?

I, Like The View said...

hugs

hugs

hugs

kleenex for the tears of anger or joy or bemusement or confusion

hugs

hugs

hugs

treats and rubber duckies and odd socks and pavement chalks and nice candles and some "on sale" halloween stuff" (because "if some is good, more is better") and hey there at the end of the aisle are some christmas light, so we'll get those too

more hugs

more hugs

more hugs

and some cool train stuff for the little Brit guy

and some bubble making liquid and some sunny days and some snow angels and some trips in the car and some photos of river gorges and some nice gardening stuff from the sister and a cheering phone call from The Girl and maybe an unexpected photo of the twins and a self inventory of the good things and acknowledgement that sometimes the not so good things aren't about you - but now I'm teaching gran'ma how to suck her own eggs, huh, so I'll shut up a bit












and some more hugs

and some more hugs

and some more hugs

and some more hugs

and a *peaceful thought* that will last as long as you need it, or be there when you are ready for it

I, Like The View said...

(oh and forgot the pin-wheels straws and the the sun-tea and the sitting on the porch watching the hummingbird moments and and and and and


.
.
.
.
.
.


and another *peace filled thought*, just in case the first one blew away)

I, Like The View said...

oh, and it's not a banana or an apple, it's not even a river in Egypt

it's a life

a life of many steps, many journeys, many routes, many surprises around the many corners

your life

which I for one am honoured to share - "lies" and all

((((((((((((((((mel)))))))))))

I, Like The View said...

oh, and BTW there are only 280 days to go till Halloween. . .

dunno if that helps matters

probably not, huh. .

but I thought I'd try it

Mel said...

Awwwwwwww..... Perfectly as okay as okay can be, thanksforaskin'......

I'd blame the 4th step, but I know it's all about me...even though none of it's about me. (riddle talk to most folks, I'm sure--but I 'get it'. LOL And that's what's important, dontchaknow...cuz it's ALL about MEMEME. (even though none of it's about me...))

No worries.
It all turns out the way it's suppose to.

But wow......what cool prezzies I awakened to this morning!
If only -19/-34 with windchill allowed me to colour on the sidewalks.....*sigh*

I, Like The View said...

oh, I forgot, there are some powder paint spray thingies in there too, so you can spray an image into the snow. . .

or just spray the powder paint up into the air and see what lands on the ground after the wind has blown it around a little. . .

and because it's cold where you are, but it was sunny here today - I thought of you, and drove to the garden centre (with the roof on CH's silver soft top down!) and bought a whole bunch of plants to brighten up the strip of soil in the back of the yard against the school playground wall, and some mulch for the soil (cos all it is at the moment is barren with the odd lump of cat poo)(oops)

when they are in, I'll take a photo with my new phone and I'll even read the instruction manual to see if I can downlaod the photo. . .

I'll try anyhow


hope you feel cheery soon

(((((((((mel)))))))))

Ron said...

Hi Mel (Angel)

I agree with Enigma...who knows if it would have been better, had you done the journey with Denial? But I can also totally understand your feelings in this post, because I've done this same thing before with people.

(several times, I might add)

The only thing can share with you, is that eventually I discovered that how it "was"...was meant to be, and the choice that I made was really the BEST choice. For them AND for me.

Sending you much love and a big bear hug {{{{{Mel}}}}}}

Vi said...

Very emotional beautiful post my dear.

RubyShooZ said...

You know Mel -

I KNOW how that whole thing feels on many levels. I was there, been there done that kinda dealie and we do get through it...really, truly...I KNOW.

You know what else? I think I kinda like yer friend " I, still, like the views" and I got hugs for the both of you.

Always love, always peace, always hugs.

Trish said...

Gosh Mel...

I've been sitting here staring at this comment box for several minutes and swiping at these pesky little drops of water that keep running down my cheeks after reading your post.

I wish I could say something that would take away the hurt, but I know I can't.

Just know you're loved dear Mel.

Sending hugs, and prayers your way.

skinnylittleblonde said...

Since denial is what it is, denial never took notice when you didn't make him privy to all the other changes. Denial was still denial... tucked in the corner, shifted to the other side of the world, thrown up to the skies...denial never seems to miss a beat, but pick and choose those with which to recognize.

Gawd, i love your rawness dear Mel.