Friday, February 09, 2007

Sleeping With Bread

When did I feel most fully myself?

Stepping into team meeting and talking kiddos and family--the most 'myself' as I could ask for. It's why I moved to this little corner of the planet, though I would have been hard pressed to say that the first four times I was asked to move here (cuz I said "no thanks" four times!) I love being able to work with kiddos and their families. Even if I don't get to do it directly, talking it and planning and stretching people so they can learn and feel better capable is a very cool thing.
Least myself?
All that being said--there was that moment of panic when my boss said he was done talking about promotions and would be filling out the paperwork because it was time.
Fair enough--he's given me better than a year to know these plans...he's smart like that. He knows it takes me time to wrap my head around stuff like this.
Talking it was one thing.
Saying 'okay...but are you sure' is another.
Actually getting the email from the boss and the exchange of emails-- a panicked moment all of it's own*:
By the Way – I put in the papers promoting you, including a raise. Congratulations!...the reward for work well done?... more work. Seriously, this is a very good thing.
I will not throw up.
I will not throw up.
I will NOT throw up.

I can do this.I’m already doing this, mostly…..

k…..I will NOT throw up…….
What is it you tell people?.....Breathe?
k…I feel LESS like throwing up………
The promotion is effective 2/10, so if you need to throw up you can wait until then.
k….

Nah………why wait….
Let’s just throw up and get it over with, dontchathink?
Why put off til tomorrow what I COULD do today!!
Or..... consider just being happy?…
OMG, OMG, OMG!!!…..k..

I’ll work on the being happy after I throw up…..

It’s not too late!
Your boss thought this was a good plan?!
AH HA!! That's it, isn't it...You didn’t ask your boss. That’s howcome, huh?

k……..more coffee? throw up? more coffee? throw up?……
Decisions decisions…..

Ok, you win...... you’re demoted now…
k….all is still as it was yesterday!! I can say stupid things and be LESS accountable!
Woooooohoooooooo!

Don’tcha love how I lie to myself?



Faith.
Gotta believe that all things happen as they’re suppose to……they do, I know this.....
Faith = belief in that which is hoped for, belief in that which has not yet been seen. BTW – I believe in you.
*Content edited to protect the poor unfortunate that was a part of this panicked moment in time---oh........that would be ME!
C'mon......I'm not an 'administrator'.
I'm not the 'administrator' type! (OMG.....what's THAT suppose to mean?!!)
SEE!! Even putting it into print--'LEAST myself' as it gets!
*checking clock*
It's not 'official' til midnight, right?
k........I think I'll go throw up now..........

3 comments:

Anonymous G said...

Congratulations!

:-)

Unknown said...

Mel, I guess I can't say I know you well enough to say you're going to be great at in your new role, but, I do think that from the little I've read here. I hope the promotion-induced panic subsides quickly and you find your administrator legs right away!

BTW, I think I will continue to post your SWB on the following Monday. I think more people will see it that way.

Blessings,

Mary

Latharia said...

I hope the panic subsides!!!!