What's one 'treasure' you've found in someone else's junk?
Gosh, there's wayyyyy more than one treasure outta 'junk' around here. We're a bit interested in trains don'tchaknow. And there are two rather nice chunks of wall in the basement with ...... ummmm....'one man's garbage'. I mighta trespassed to collect 'em. I have a habit of walking along railroad tracks and snagging just the right bit of 'stuff'. Usually it's something that's weird looking but highly functional/common for use on a railway.
They get sealed (cuz they get rustier), the date and train track they were found on get noted--and they get added to my collection of stolen goods. *laughing* True! The good news is I don't do this every time. I think they're cute with the wee train goin' 'round and 'round and 'round.... And they're FREE......until the rail road police find me..... (please note the rail road crossing sign in the basement is NOT my doings...it was gifted to himself and I DIDN'T DO IT. LOL JUST sayin'.......)
I think my favorite is the date nail I pulled out of a (no longer used bit of track!) railroad tie in the Adirondack's. Don't ask me the year--I can't remember.
I've also got the study--with NYC train 'stuff'. NOT my fault! I simply told he-who-adores-trains that I like the New York Central 20th Century Unlimited.....and *poof!* it happened! LOL Most of it's been gifted to me here and there. Some of it I've stumbled upon and snagged for next to nothing--cuz it ain't 'junk' if you're paying an arm and a leg.....it turns into an 'antique'. LOLOL
Oh, and then there's the cloverleaf oak side table that was being tossed out......that's still crammed in the dark recesses of the basement storage room..... Wow.....I just remembered that! It's still hidden in the basement--and I know it's still there cuz when he-who-gets-to-do-everything was putting back decorations from the holiday he asked me what in the world that wobbly thing was!
Ohhhh...maybe I can talk him into freeing the table and fixing it's poor wobbly self.
*laughing* I wouldn't want him getting bored on week 11 of having me home 24/7!!
Dare to Have Joy:
* birdsong in the morning.....they're bacckkk! :-)
* the HUGE yellow moon setting this morning
* the snowman family the Bug made with her mom yesterday (awwwwwww!)

5 comments:
" (please note the rail road crossing sign in the basement is NOT my doings...it was gifted to himself and I DIDN'T DO IT. LOL JUST sayin'.......)"
HA!
The bestest treasure I found in someone else's jink was an HP printer/scanner that they threw out in the trash area of my apartment building. Can you believe that? I grabbed that thing so fast, there was a BLUR!
And I still have it from four years ago and it still works perfectly!
:)
Hi Mel,
OK, we have your instructions...
If the RR police start snoopin' along suspicious peeps here with info, we all don't know "nuttin'"...
Those treasures are now safe with you. How cool for the nail with a date on it! :)
xo
Hahaha, I think you did do it ya know!! I think you just don't want to admit it in public *winks*
C x
What wonderful collectons you have. And it sems to me that it's not just the freeness of them but the transformation of unwantedness to treasured that makes it so good.
Upon discovering that hording is a renegade gene in my family, I made a pledge to not accumulate. While I was travelling in my career, my belongings were an albatross. I took it all out of storage and sold or gave away most of it.
Then, years later, I bought another home. YIKE! I could not imagine buying a bunch of STUFF to put in it. At the same time, a new senior's residence had opened. Suddenly there was lots of furnishings available at great prices.
So I have Mabel's lazy boy, Sanchia's china cabinet, Caffyn's dad's dining room set, Edna's linens, etc etc.
Only trouble is...now some of those people have died and I find I suddenly 'attached'!
When people come into my house, they don't marvel over the eclectic decor. They remark on the feeling in the house. I like that - and keep an eye on accumulations I don't NEED.
My walk buddy and her hubby go garage sale-ing every chance they get. Their house is a forever garage sale - full, chaotic, piled and disheveled -which would put me into apoplexy if I had to live there. Our walk is our visit and I love her soul!
Post a Comment