I really sorta kinda like the clinicians. I did NOT want to be their direct supervisor--they're all a bunch of gushy, feeling focused, neurotic folks. LOL I suppose G-d's laughing, setting me up with folks who're a bit more 'schooled' than I am, freshly educated in the field with papers up the whazoo--who are ALL about 'vulnerability' and 'talking about our feelings/thinking'. Frankly, I was convinced they were all going to tenure their resignations when I let them know I'd be switching their direct supervision..... to me. They did greet me with silence as they looked at each other. LOL Nice attempt to gauge each others' reaction before reacting themselves! Failed, of course, but good try!
Seriously--they're now stopping into my office on a regular basis.
Two weeks ago one was there in tears cuz she 'wasn't being effective' and her efforts 'didn't make a difference'.
Pasting people back together is something I'm good at when I'm the one who's helped them end up at the 'got nothing to do but look at ME' place. But to have 'em show up in that state.....a whole different story.
I've got to get a fresh supply of Snoopy bandaids--some 'fun' thing to earmark an 'ouchie' moment with a bit of healing and growth attached to it.
And really......I've GOT to somehow lose this reputation I'm establishing with those folks. Or get more kleenexes.
Bandaids AND kleenexes.......I'll get 'em on the list!
Somehow I'm thinkin' it'll be easier to get those than to lose the other.
Oy.......
5 comments:
A lady after my own heart. Spent my whole working life fixing things for other a whole lot smarter than me. I liked it. I miss it. You take care of them; it's worth it.
"I've got to get a fresh supply of Snoopy bandaids--some 'fun' thing to earmark an 'ouchie' moment with a bit of healing and growth attached to it."
Oh, and bet they LOVE you, Mel!
X
There's a reason they're in your office. And it's YOU! Don't worry about anything....you've been gifted.
Mel, I say that you can have diplomas galore and still may have not learned some emotional intelligence or other types of "non book" intelligence.
You seem to have a quantity of compassion and peeps feel that.
xox
It's not only your heart, Mel. It's your ability to flip things around and take a run at it from another angle.
Blessings on all you do, Mel. The greatest gift is being able to quell the ugliest fear...
XO
Post a Comment