Saturday, August 23, 2008

Her mother's child....


He knew enough to wake me when she rang me back.

She'd called at noon while I was still at work and I'd left her two messages in turn.

It was 11:20 when he woke me and handed me the phone.
He just told me "She sounds funny..."


She'd opted to go home after her phone call from the doctor and go to sleep--but only after she'd pulled up website upon website on the internet.
She was drawing from the few words she'd written down when she'd talked with the doctor.
Sleep was her best method of dealing with the information.
Sleep..... and a bowl of ice cream.....

I didn't know she'd had an abnormal pap smear.
I didn't know she'd had a second abnormal one and a subsequent tissue sample.... and blood work and CT...or was it an MRI?
Her brain was a little muddled.

She just wanted to have as much information as she could before she talked to me.
She told me she needed to have a handle on what it all could mean before she talked it to other people.

She is her mother's child.


I know I was supportive and rational when she talked to me.
It's a learned response, a conditioning to be calm in the face of a storm.

She has stage I Endometrial Cancer.

She's 27 years old.


She tells me she wants babies.




"Stage I Endometrial cancer is successfully treated more than 90 percent of the time."

That's what I want.





She's 27 years old.
She's her mother's child.......

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.

Sending hugs and prayers to you both.

Sorrow said...

There's no words I can say. I am just going to get up and go light a candle..
send some love to you and yours...

(((MEL)))

Anonymous said...

C:(

Best Wishes.

Anonymous G said...

I'm more than a little angry right now.

And very sad. :-(

I know it's a strong word, but I.HATE.CANCER.

Stage 1, though! Thank goodness, stage 1.

She IS her mother's child.

Bless her heart..and yours.

(((((mel)))))

(((((((((((mel)))))))))))

jennie said...

I'm sorry to hear the bad news Mel, but very glad to hear that the prognosis is so good.

((hugs))

Jennie

I, Like The View said...

oh darling

darling, darling, darling

both of you

sorry, I'm in tears - but she will be okay

SHE WILL

she will

I'm willing you strength and comfort and peace and energy and whatever it takes to see this thru

we will all be with you

both of you

in whatever wayshapeorform you need us to

darlings

XXX

I, Like The View said...

'kay

I've done some catching up

it's OK not to be calm, supportive and rational in your own time, and to acknowledge each of your own fears together, you know?

when my mother was dying of (what I now know were) secondaries from breast cancer, she used to wait till my father was out of the room and whisper "it's alright, I know I'm going to die, but don't tell your father, it'll upset him" and my father used to say to me "DO NOT TALK TO YOUR MOTHER ABOUT DYING. SHE IS NOT GOING TO DIE"

it's taken me years to get over that - the silence and the denial (if, indeed, I even have)

now, The Girl is going to be ok, right? she's in that 90%; but, and I know you know this, it is ok to be scared - both you and her

you don't need me to be writing this stuff

you're no egg-sucking-grandmother

*sending peacefilled thoughts*

(coz they work, don'tcha know)

Lady in red said...

mel I feel for you all, its going to be tough but I am sure that positive energy is a great help. I believe thats what got me through my cancer, I am not quite sure what the differences are between endometrial cancer and cervical cancer.

She may be 27 but she has youth on her side to help her fight this as well as a strong mother.

stage 1 means that it has been caught early s she may be spared some of the thins I had to go through at stage 3

Mel my thoughts are with you both.

I, Like The View said...

(I didn't mean not to be positive, I KNOW the difference that a PMA makes; I meant to do the scared, get it in perspective, and then move on. . .)(BIG respect to the LIR)

Ron said...

Dearest Mel....

Sending you MUCH good energy and LOVE!

{{{{{{{MEL}}}}}}}}

atypical said...

The C word is one which I do not like in any way. Stage 1 is a sigh of relief if you HAVE to hear the C word.

She wants babies..... that adds a dimension....

She IS her mother's child.

All of these stilted words are just another way to say that I am sending you hugs (and lots of other words which aren't coming out right now).

-t

Mel said...

(((((( everyone ))))))

I thank you for the caring and the wishes and prayers.

G-d's taken really good care of us both--I don't believe that's changed or changING one iota.

Though.....He might be a tad irritated with my moment of pissy-ness with Him on Friday.

I am reallllllly lucky that He's such a forgiving G-d, huh? ;-)

katherine. said...

oh well damn.

where have I been not to be reading this until now....

taking a deep breath.
tossing up a most heartfelt prayer.

gonna read the rest.

damn