Monday, January 21, 2013

Has it been a year?


Wow.....it's been a year.
BOY has it been a year.

I took up this challenge last year--the timing was implicit, as timing generally is.  I took it up and gifted the sister with a letter a day for the month of February.  She was waiting for her surgery, newly diagnosed with oral cancer.  I spent a month in sunny California as a result--but prior to the devastation of surgery, there were letters galore.  She told me what that meant to her many times over.  When I returned home and she went through chemotherapy, the letters continued.  Not every day, but multiples in the week....even though we sent texts every day, I knew what the letters meant.  Making that trip to the mailbox was a treat for her.  And a battle.  Leaving the 'safety' of her house to run the risk of being seen by the public eye was huge--even in those few steps.

She's doing better with getting people time.  We've continued to push her.  She and I converse on the phone--difficult to understand some moments given the loss of most of her tongue, I've no qualms to tell her 'nope--didn't understand squat what you just said......rewind, rewind!'.  She's able to laugh at that--notsomuch at the folks who pretend they understand her out of embarrassment or a need to be (what they believe) is kind.

The letters made a hard time a bit more bearable for her.  They helped her feel connected and loved.  She told me she would 'hear' my voice when she read--more proof that I write as I talk, I guess.

So it's the letters that I return to--and come February, it'll be a letter a day to somewhere!  Now, I'm not sure where and I don't have a plan.  *laughing*  Go figure.  But I do have a sense of the difference that a card or letter, scattered in with the junk that gets shoved into that little box makes.

So I'm back for another round!

Woooooohoooooooo!!  And I even have a bit of an edge cuz I made a whole BOX of cards to write on and it's sitting RIGHT where I can reach it.
Or........it will be when I ask he-who-moves-things-within-reach to move it into my comfy space we've created!

Okay....NOW I'm excited for February to come!!  :-D

9 comments:

barb said...

Hi Mel,
Now there's a great plan for February! I just know that you are a rarin' to go!
I am very sure that each one of your letters to your sis was a ray of sunshine, a gift of hope.
And her's were likewise.

Love one another xx

Anonymous said...

oh....
oh yeah.....

Ron said...

Wow Mel, has it been a WHOLE year already? My gosh, times flies!

And I am so happy to hear that you'll be going this again, come February! Looking forward to reading how it goes!

"She told me she would 'hear' my voice when she read--more proof that I write as I talk, I guess."

You SURE do, dear lady, because I can 'hear' you clearly in your posts and comments, and it's AWESOME!

(((((((( You )))))))

X

Pamela said...

too bad they can't do a tongue transplant!

Amy @ Soul Dipper said...

It's sounding like your sister is coming along just fine. Thank all and every!

My mom used to do the letter a day to friends in the hospital. Sometimes several would be delivered at once with dire warnings about opening one a day!

You're right, there's something wonderful about having something special to look forward to every day!

Are you still purple? Or have you had the paints out? :D

Spadoman said...

I remember when you did this. Wow! Been a year, eh? Time and motion wait for no one.


Peace

mig said...

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well - it sounds like it anyway. So moving to think of "Making that trip to the mailbox was a treat for her. And a battle".
You'll enjoy your letters I'm sure and they'll be a lifeline for her.

L'Adelaide said...

mel,
i've been wondering about your sis... i am glad to read she is improving and learning to live with what she has been blessed with....sometimes the stuff we humans have to carry is so big, i can only shake my head. but am glad she has improved and is moving forward.

now can we do a letter ever couple of weeks to each other? PLLLEEEEEEEAZZZZZZZZ?

Mel said...

*laughing* Oh, Linda--I'd be honoured to send on a fine example of my lousy penmanship! LOL