People have always wanted to talk to me about their problems. I guess I'm a good listener. Maybe I have something to contribute after all.
--Joann Reed
No one is without value in this life. Maybe we haven't discovered our unique purpose or special gifts, but we each have a place in the universe or we wouldn't be here.
Each of us can offer friends a valuable gift every day - we can listen. Messages from our Higher Power often come through the words of others. We perform a wonderful service for our companions by listening and by sharing our own experience and advice.
Rapt attention - giving it and receiving it - is perhaps the most valuable contribution any of us can make. Let's never underestimate the sacredness of listening.

2 comments:
This is me. Especially when I was working. 25 to 30 employees and 50% of them would end up around my desk at some point. It took me a good while to realize that it was because I listened. Rarely gave advice because that's not what they wanted. And I have to admit that it made me feel good to just listen to these humans and try to give love and understanding if nothing else. I miss that part of work.
I am a better listeners than a talker something I learned when I was a child. I had three aunts who perpetually talked across each other, neither listening nor properly communicating. I resolved as a youngster not to be 'like them' to the benefit of those who need or needed a listening ear.
Post a Comment