Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sleeping with Bread



I dream with my eyes open.....


And today I dreamt of sunshine filled time, a glass of suntea and the sound of squeaky door bird calls.
I can hear them through the closed, evening windows--celebrating the absence of me.
Me who chases them off with a clap of the hands as they land on feeding tables clearly marked for other birdies.


Darn grackles. LOL


Himself has decided they're his favorite birdies. In part because they get a reaction from me, no doubt. In part because of what they mean--the return of spring and the season of Mel's noise making on the patio as she talks with birdies, invites ground squirrels to dinner and draws on sidewalks.

Ah, but what a *tap tap tap* for me--




Have you ever done something in the face of adversity?
That's one of the questions on the SRI--an interviewing tool we use in our hiring practice.

My answer--"Oh, just about everything....."

It would seem that I enjoy adversity.
I find it often enough--and honestly, I walk into it without a whole lot of bother.
It's just.......adversity!

What does that have to do with 'Sleeping with Bread'?

Today, I have a whole lot of gratitude for this role that I seem to find myself in on a regular basis.....

See, I don't mind the adversity.
I don't mind taking up 'battle' for what's 'right and good and that which will bring TO the life of another human being'.......even if that doesn't look like what you or I would choose.
Clap your hands all you want and order me to g'way.....it ain't likely gonna happen.
If I'm convinced, I'll chase it til I get it.

Just as the grackles have the responsibility to chase that which is needed for them and their family......so do I.
I just have a rather.......LARGE 'family'.....

Grackles are noisy, messy birds and they're known for chasing off the other birds with their antics. Or so I used to say.

Himself notes that they've not interfered with the sparrows, the woodpeckers OR the brilliant nuthatches that walk upsidedown DOWN the trees to find what they're looking for.
They just don't follow my rules.
They play outside the box.
They go for what they need even when adversity happens.

Like I do.
Like I'm designed to do.

I don't mind the role.
So what if the feeder table says I'm not allowed to take food from there.
Food's needed, there's an abundance--and there's such a thing as 'sharing'.

LOL I'da made a good grackle!

Now, granted--most times I'm very good at selling someone on the ideas that will bring to the life of another person. Sometimes I out and out demand it.
This week there's been a lot of selling and a lot of demanding as I've gone about doing what I do well.

Getting what's needed for a kiddo or their family or my staff--ESPECIALLY when I've been told it ain't gonna happen.
I've been able to help make it happen just the same.


Grackles make a lot of noise.....
(As do I.)
They're kinda messy.
(As am I.)
They're demanding.
(As am I.)
They can kinda scare off others.
(k.....so can I....)
They don't follow the rules.
(Nor do I.)
They get what they need and persevere until they get it, despite the opposition, despite the adversity, despite the hand clapping and barriers that get put in front of 'em.
As do I.
I think it's really cool I/WE got made that way....

Thanks for that!

5 comments:

I, Like The View said...

you are cool

(-:

way cool

X

Tara Lamont said...

Grackles of the world unite -
right there with you.
Being cool too.
LOL
T

katherine. said...

just to be honest...I had to look up the gackle

now that you mention it...there IS a resemblance...

lots of kids and their fams pretty blessed to have you bein' all gacklesque

and yes...you areway cool

Pamela said...

Not just anyone could compare themselves to grackles and make it cool! I concur, you are WAY cool!

Unknown said...

Mel! What a great post. And the metaphor is amazing.

I am glad you are good with being who you are supposed to be! :)

P.S. The SWB icon is soooo cute. Did you make that?