Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sleeping with bread.....



....Spirituality..... is rather a combination of principles and qualities which is reachable by anyone, but rare because society fails to prize or emphasize their development — just as acquiring a “classical education” takes both knowing what it is and recognizing its importance.
So gaining spiritual qualities may well mean defying the will and customs of one’s family and community.
But when one comes to appreciate these qualities, and regard their cultivation as the highest good, one is drawn as if by gravity to those experiences and awarenesses that allow them to bear fruit.

So what are some of these qualities?

1. FAITHFULNESS. Which may have nothing to do with religious belief, mind you. I am reminded of Tonto’s expression “Kemo Sabe,” supposed to mean “faithful friend.” Faithfulness means you can be readily relied upon, and comfortably trusted. There is a consistency and continuity to your effort, and you don’t back out just because of inconvenience. You “keep faith.”

2. GRATITUDE AND CONTENTMENT. You appreciate nature’s gifts and others’ kindnesses. You enjoy what you have even when striving for more.

3. HUMILITY. Neither to grovel or be low. You know your true position, and don’t need ego-strokes to do the right thing or flattery to feel appreciated.

4. KINDNESS. You enjoy being gentle and loving, even to a lost bug.5. FORGIVENESS. You give up your right to stay angry and get even. You recognize that holding a grudge only serves to poison you.

6. HUMOR AND CHEERFULNESS. You see what is absurd, you are amused rather than thrown by the preposterous, and you enjoy arousing smiles and joy.

7. TOLERANCE AND PATIENCE. You can accept others’ differences, forgive their foolishness, and wait for them to change on their own schedule, not yours.

8. OBSERVANCE AND INSIGHT. This is not to observe ritual, but rather to observe nature, people, and your own inner processes. You are watchful of pattern and sensitive to real motives; you see to the heart of the matter.

9. PRODUCTIVENESS. Your actions are useful and purposeful. Even in recreation you engage in a little creation. While some goofing off is refreshing and even desirable, a life of goofing off is not your ambition.

10. PEACEFULNESS. It is more important to you to be serene than to be right or to be noticed. You gain an immunity to the nervousness of others.

11. BALANCE. You enjoy a little of everything, but none too much. You can learn to stop yourself before becoming obsessive or uncentered.

12. SANITY. Your values are consistent, life-affirming and human-scaled. You show integrity, honor, graciousness and decency. You have a realistic sense of what you can do and what you can’t do; and you can admit error.

13. WISDOM. You see the spirit in others, even when they’re trying to hide it. You are not easily fooled by the world of appearances. You know yourself, accept yourself, and embrace life. You know when to shut up.

14. PRINCIPLE. You have a blueprint for thought and behavior. You see the wisdom of acting on principle and the consequences (however occult) of betraying your principles. It is more important to you to do right than to be right; to do good than to feel good; to be courageous and grasp for more understanding and enlightenment rather than be thought well of and admired.

By this standard, there are people (I’ve met them) who would not meet a single qualification of the “true believer,” but are undoubtedly spiritual. Spiritual is as spiritual does. God knows the heart; we can but guess.
c. 1999 David L. Hecht


Far better said than I ever could have said, this is what I ran across when I was looking for something else.

I'm grateful I couldn't find what I was looking for....I'd guess I wasn't suppose to.....
This is the bread I shall sleep with this evening.....this week.


I hope each and all had a glorious weekend of celebration--one that brought you peace and a renewed sense of hopefulness.

10 comments:

Latharia said...

I gotta work on that peacefulness one. Can you hook me with the origin of these elements? I can think of a couple of people who might enjoy reading about them. :)

Unknown said...

Excellent! Thank you for sharing it.

katherine. said...

this was worth printing!

The CEO said...

Thank you so much, well worth the effort!

I, Like The View said...

wow - that's a lot to think about. . .

. . .but in the meantime, I hope that you too, dearheart, have peace and hope

XXXX

Anonymous said...

Oh, sure... Sanity had to be in the list!! C;P

Sorrow said...

I almost missed number 5, forgiveness,
hidden the way it was...
But the list is a printer for the fridge!

Tara Lamont said...

I love how other folks bread is just what hits the spot when you need it. Great quotes from D. Hecht.

Pamela said...

Excellent quotes, Mel. Much to think on.

Unknown said...

Oh. This makes me groan a little bit. I don't think I've been a truly spiritual person lately.

This has been a theme popping up for me this past week.

The good news? While I am known to FAIL, the Lord does not FAIL. His mercies are new every morning.

Thanks for sharing, Mel!