
The examen, based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius, helps a person hold onto what spiritually nourishes him by looking at what is giving him consolation in his life or causing him desolation. It allows someone to express his gratitude to God for the good stuff and turn to him for solace for the bad stuff. It is quite simple. You simply ask yourself, in the last day/week/month what gave me consolation and what caused me desolation.
Desolation: Sorrow, grief, woe
Watching someone in emotional pain doing everything they can to avoid dealing with it head-on, creating crisis after crisis and misplacing their anger and hurt on to innocent people around them. *sigh* Sometimes it's really, really hard watching the great lengths victims will go to avoid dealing with their victimizations.
Watching someone in the throes of their addiction lie to themselves just like I lied to myself--watching them destroy their life bit by bit by bit......and watching them create (what could be) unforgiveable wreckage in the lives of the people who want so desperately for them to have different because they love them. Sometimes it's hard to watch people go down that path.
Watching people stumble and fall when I really could do something to interfere with that process--but know that it's not mine to do. Sometimes I don't like knowing what I know.
Consolation: Comfort, solace, relief
Sticking my hands in dirt and starting to claim the patio after winter stole it from me is happening. There's one of the places I go to that lets my mind be on what's present. Suntea gets made there. Critters visit me there. Sidewalks get coloured and flowers bloom there. Sunshine and warmth find me there. Putzing around in barefeet, being a spectator instead of being smack-dab in the middle of all that trauma...it's a good place.
Sticking my hands in dirt and starting to claim the patio after winter stole it from me is happening. There's one of the places I go to that lets my mind be on what's present. Suntea gets made there. Critters visit me there. Sidewalks get coloured and flowers bloom there. Sunshine and warmth find me there. Putzing around in barefeet, being a spectator instead of being smack-dab in the middle of all that trauma...it's a good place.
Drive time--even though it's required (and it was required a lot last week) gives me time to 'reset'. I don't know what happens when I get behind the wheel of a car to drive distances, I just know it does and I'm glad for it.
Food. There's one that surprises me to put into black and white--I'm just not that fond of food. But food has been a battle for some time....this gluten-free jazz can be one of those every day 'grief' factors. Quite honestly it's an interference every day. (probably cuz I let it be?) But this week himself plopped down a bag of pretzels....gluten-free. OMG did I munch myself into heaven. And more than once this week I dipped into that bag to feed my feelings.
Daily photo messages and one sound text from the wee one. Whoda thunk I'd say claim that as a consolation--certainly not me. There's something about the sound of that snoring, sleepy noise makin' wee one--it's been played over and over and over again--so often himself asks 'listening again, are we?'. LOL She's started a dangerous habit, that girl. But it's been a good thing this week. It's brought laughter in a week littered with tears.
It was a difficult week.....one filled with some very tough moments that seemed to bleed from one tough moment straight into the next.
But I've got a plan for this week, given this examen called it to my attention.....
I'm taking my bag of pretzels, my cellphone (I don't beleive I'm saying that--ME.....the hater of cellphones.....LOL) and I'm gonna go sit on the patio AS often as I can make happen....
12 comments:
Ah your patio sounds like a little piece of heaven. And those pretzels sound so good :)
(((((((((((Mel)))))))))))
Wonderful insight, and wonderful sharing. Thank you for that.
The road trip has been my salvation for a very long time. Every drive is a ceremony. My past blog posts were usually of one of the many trips I took over the years. I eat too, for comfort. I used to scold myself, but at my age, now it is part of me. I can't have the guilt because that is the very reason I eat, to ward off guilt and ill feelings.
Peace to you and all you hold dear.
in the midst of the stuff that's been going on i took time to create a breakfast place for when it's too cold to sit out, which I love to do. in a room that has been taken over with weight lifting gear and my lovely things had taken a back seat. well no longer I have a place of refuge for the start of the day, to count my blessings and get on with life.
xx
I'm so glad you have pretzels!!!
(so do I!!!)
xx
Good you know how to take care of yourself, and know you cannot live someone else's life for them.
I love reading all your Sleeping with Bread posts, but I especially enjoyed this one, because there's so much in what you shared, that I can SO indentify with.
And isn't it truly amazing how spending time surrounded by nature, you can receive so much consolation? Me too.
Thanks for sharing this, Mel!
Enjoy your time on the patio. It sounds WONDERFUL!
X to you
Oh ,
here here...
I often think that nature is gods reward for putting up with Humans..
self included
( dontcha know)
AND
((((((((((((((((((( HUGE HUGSSS FOR MEL)))))))))))))))))))))))))
for her crappy tear filled week..
Lots of Love too....
You words about knowing when something isn't yours to fix stood out to me. Wisdom in that thought.
My comforts this week: sharing a sundae with a friend, listening to a couple of live shows and picking up a few more books...
I know like I need that.
But comfort still the same.
I have been on vacation. I haven't been on a cell phone, nor a computer, nor e mail for a while. Not even a telephone. It was heaven. The patio is a great start. The pretzels are a nice touch!
It's funny how things you wouldn't expect end up being your consolation. I too love reclaiming the patio after winter, as a place to escape and feel refreshed. May you find many moments to enjoy out there (with your pretzles!) this week.
catching up
need to read and see if this next week improved...
{{{{{ mel }}}}}
Post a Comment